Route 66: 2010

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Paisano European Tour 2010 - Day 20

Day 20 is September 26

This morning I was up around 7 am and coughing up a lung and a half.  After catching my breath, I did grab shave and a shower.  Even though I'm still me, I do look a touch more "civilized".  I was able to spend a bit of time catching up on my journal, (you know, if I don't write this stuff down, I'll be in the same boat as the Route 66 ride and forget important stuff), I also got a couple emails out as well. After I caught up on my paperwork duties, breakfast was with Line, Morten, Momma, Kristin and then Hans and Ronja a touch later.

Our plans for today start with a "pic a nic" lunch, (you need to hear that in your head as Yogi Bear;) ).  After packing up the lunch, Momma, Hans & I head out to take the ferry to the "other" side of the fjord.  We three met up with Morten at Orland, (that's pronounced "Er-land" or at least that's how an American might pronounce it) field.

We went to Orland, well, mostly because that's where Morten landed his plane and well, That's where we need to be if we want to head up into the "wild blue yonder".  Momma was the first one up in Morten's small two seater single engine trainer.  The look on Momma's face when she got all strapped in, was Priceless!  Momma said she really enjoyed her flight.  To hear her tell it is the coolest, but I'll do my best.  She said it was so great being up in the air in the small-ish, (but Very cool plane).  When Morten asked her if she wanted to fly she said "oh, I don't know, I think I'll pass".  She thought about it and then said; "I'm 80 years old, I may never get the chance again..."  I Love that!

After she flew for a bit, Morten did a couple rolls with her as well.  She came through like a trooper and had a grin on her face for the rest of the day.  ;)

We finally drug Momma out of the cockpit and it was now my turn.  The flight was awesome!  The scenery was absolutely beautiful.  The mountains, fjords, trees, and the water all Amazing!.  We did rolls, flips and other Way cool stuff!  We pulled a bit over 4Gs during "my" flight, what a Rush!!!  Morten even let me land  :)  Ya- Hoo!!!

Our next stop after the flights were over, was a trip to Hans & Ronja's condo.  They stay here because it is So much closer to their high school.  It's a place they share with a couple others and it's really a nice place.  I'm Very proud of both Hans and Ronja.  I had an extra little smile when Hans told me he has a glass of wine at the end of the day, a little something he learned from his "American Dad".  Not that he indulged while in Colorado, of course.  Hans takes good care of his sister and roommates, too.

After the "Condo Tour" and pic a nic, with Line and Kyrre, (Line's brother), we head over to celebrate with Morten's sister Mayanita.  Hopefully, she had a Happy 40th and it was great for Momma & I to meet ever more of our adopted Norwegian family and we got to see the video of the wonderful wedding in Spain.  There were lots of kids around and I sure wish I had their energy.  I'm still feeling poorly, but keep on going because I can't bear to miss anything on this trip of a lifetime.

As the time as starting to get a bit late and closer to dusk, we decided to head back home.  Morten and I took the plane back as Momma rode with the rest of the family.  Hanne and her girls gave us a lift back to the airfield and Morten and I got ready to fly home.  Man, I Love the way that sounds!  Morten, in his infinitely patient way, "let" me take off and even fly for awhile   Cool doesn't even begin to touch the feeling.  It was starting on it's way to getting dark, but it was a Beautiful full moon this night.  After I "gave up" the stick, we did some more awesome sightseeing and more rolls, Very Cool!  We landed at the small hanger Morten has somewhat close to home and after putting the plane away, I got to ride Hanso's "spaghetti racer" back home.  I decided to ride a little bit past the house and along the highway that follows the shore.  I've now Officially ridden a motorcycle in Norway.  I SO need to get my Lowrider out here.  Hmmm...I need to work on that idea.

As much fun as the day was and as cool as the ride was, I, of course, am sicker now.  Oh well... We had more great conversation and then it was off to bed for me.  I woke up at 12:30 or so and headed downstairs again, this time until about 5:30.  Sickness...yuck...

Another great day in the books and a need to get ready for more cool stuff tomorrow.  Good Night All!

No comments:

Post a Comment